BOOKINGS FOR MALASPINA EXHIBITION CENTRE FOR 2022
ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED
(next available spots: Winter 2023)
General Guidelines for Exhibit Submissions to Malaspina Art Society (MAS)
Please fill out this online form below
- Please provide the following to be considered for an exhibition:
- A statement of intent or artists statement. (What will the exhibition be about, or what are you exploring?)
- 10 to 20 slides, photos, or digital images of your work or a website with photos of your work.
- A Bio, CV or Resume (which is simply your history with making and/or exhibiting your work).
Please view upcoming exhibition dates here.
Submit your proposal by email at email@example.com or to:
Malaspina Art Society
100-7085 Nootka Street
Powell River, BC V8A 3C6
ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Anyone may submit to have a show in the foyer at Vancouver Island University (VIU) Powell River Campus. You do not need to be a member of Malaspina Art Society, although we encourage membership as a great way to support this charitable organization.
- At this time we are focusing more on emerging artists, so if you’ve never had a show of your own or just a few exhibitions please reserve your spot! This is helpful for your art resume and for obtaining grants, not to mention getting your name and work out there and selling your art work.
- Typical length of show is about 2 months except in the summertime and at Christmas break when the University hours are diminished and group shows will happen. Show lengths depend on space availability as well as other factors. Typically new shows open the first Thursday of every other month (if it cannot, let us know ahead of time).
- We will provide an honorarium of $225 to cover your time and fees with an option to have a professional video made of your exhibition by www.astralimages.ca (thus lowering your honorarium to $50)- you get the video to keep (amazing value!) Check out our studio tour sample mini-docs at https://youtu.be/2eyvmjZoc_U
- MAS does expect some educational aspect to your exhibition, so please think of ways to increase the audience’s knowledge of your process or intents, as through an artist talk, little workshop or as included in your video.
- We generally restrict one-person solo exhibitions to maximum one show every 2-3 years by any specific artist (this does not include team or group shows or special engagements, new techniques or new medium you are exploring; always ask for more information as needed, just email firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Here is a helpful link to some ideas on how to develop a show https://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-an-Art-Exhibition
- Check out our past exhibition posters for ideas on how your own might look; we will use our new 2020 template which will require a show title, a high quality digital picture of at least one of your pieces in the show, the title and size of that piece, a short description of your show theme, links to your website, social media links and/or contact info to appear on the poster, and an opening date. We will also need a short bio for promotional purposes.
- Displaying art at VIU-Powell River does have some content and formal restrictions (please inquire with coordinator if you have concerns over these or if special equipment is needed, if presenting 3-dimensional or digital work, etc.) email@example.com
- MAS does not cover shipping of artwork or any transportation costs. Please consider a request for funding well ahead of time from various funding bodies (Canada Council, BC Arts Council) or a small grant via Powell River Council for Arts and Culture or our own MAS fund here.
- Team up and have a two-person show! It’s easier to fill up the space and artists can share in the work and audiences.
- The displaying artist(s) are primarily responsible for promoting their show, although the coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) will provide a poster image we agree to, and can help produce a poster for you to print and distribute.
- Artists are asked to not place price stickers or tags next to work itself but keep a booklet or print out/ postcards etc. with prices on the display table provided.
- Assuming your body of work is ready and selected, typically you will want to give yourself 2 months to prepare for your show, starting with your advertising goals, and making sure work is ready for display, framed etc.
- VIU has strict hanging instructions (no holes in wall, etc.)- please inquire with coordinator email@example.com .
(Header art by Giovanni Spezzacatena – Rabideye Design)